The Office of Global Health and Health Disparities (OGHHD) within the Division of Clinical Research, leads the coordination and development of programs and initiatives that foster global research and research on health disparities in neurological disorders and stroke. The primary objectives of the Office include:
Global Health: Support global research partnerships aimed at strengthening our understanding of the burden of neurological disease and identifying opportunities for improved diagnostics, treatment, and prevention strategies. Building sustainable capacity in low-and middle-income countries to enable the conduct of research and training in neurological disorders and stroke in low-resource settings is also of interest.
Health Disparities: Advance research on disparities (or inequities) in neurological disease, healthcare, and health outcomes in disparate populations, including racial and ethnic minorities, the geographically disadvantaged, sex and gender minorities, and others who have been historically underserved, socioeconomically disadvantaged, marginalized, or adversely affected by persistent inequality. The Office seeks to support rigorous research, from basic science to implementation, that will identify, monitor, and target biological, environmental, behavioral, social, and/or healthcare system factors that influence disparities in neurological disease.
New Strategic Plan
In 2020, NINDS began a new planning effort focused on health disparities and health equity for neurological disorders with a Request for Information (RFI) to gather broad input. The findings and recommendations of the NANDSC Working Group were approved by NINDS Advisory Council on February 2, 2022 and will be posted the NINDS Health Equity Strategic Planning page. Any additional updates related to this plan will be made available soon.
Resources and Tools
Richard T. Benson, M.D., Ph.D. | Director, Office of Global Health and Health Disparities
Cheryse A. Sankar, Ph.D. | Program Director, Health Disparities
Stacey D. Chambers, M.S. | Scientific Project Manager
Erica L. Littlejohn, Ph.D. | Health Program Specialist
Naomi E. Booker, M.P.H. | Health Program Specialist
- RFA-MD-21-004: Understanding and Addressing the Impact of Structural Racism and Discrimination on Minority Health and Health Disparities (R01 Clinical Trial Optional)
- Awarded Grants: Total of 38 R01s were funded (see list of awards on NIH RePORTER)
- Application Funded by NINDS: Examining racial segregation and underlying mechanisms related to VCID and incident stroke in the REGARDS study
News & Events
NINDS is a proud co-sponsor of the Upcoming NIH Hybrid & Virtual Workshop: “Innovative Approaches to Improve Maternal Health”When: May 8-9, 2023 | Time: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. ET | The event is free and open to the public. View the registration website for details on posters, pitch talks, and the agenda external link
New Release! NIH NINDS-FIC Team site visit to Zambia and ‘Showcase of Amazing Neurological Research’ | Check out the latest issue of the NIH Record featured article here!
- Accepting Applications! Robert A. Winn Diversity in Clinical Trials Award Program | Deadline: May 12, 2023 11:59 PM ET| Apply!
- Save the Dates: NIMHD 2023 Health Disparities Research Institute (HDRI) August 7 - 11, 2023 |Visit the HDRI webpage to learn more about the program, eligibility requirements, selection criteria, and how to apply.
- Learn more about Fogarty and NIH Grants: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for International Funded Investigators | View Answers to FAQs here!
- NASEM Report Release: Advancing Anti-Racism, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in STEM Organizations: A Consensus Study |View Report
Subscribe to the NINDS-OGHHD Listserv
2021 HEADWAY Workshop
NINDS Health Disparities and Inequities in Neurological Disorders (HEADWAY) Workshop
Global Health Research at NINDS
Application information for international applicants and institutions
***Learn more about Fogarty and NIH Grants: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for International Funded Investigators | View Answers to FAQs here!
U.S. - Japan Brain Research Cooperative Program
Promotes scientist exchange, training, and research collaborations between neuroscientists from the U.S. and Japan
Health Disparities Strategic Planning
NANDSC Working Group for Health Disparities and Inequities in Neurological Disorders
Health Disparities Research at NINDS
Information on NINDS-supported health disparity related research
OGHHD 2020 Request for Information
This request for information sought input on knowledge gaps, health and research needs, as well as promising opportunities to help guide NINDS research on health disparities and inequities in neurological disorders and diseases