The Office of Global Health and Health Disparities (OGHHD) within the Division of Clinical Research, leads the coordination and development of programs and initiatives that foster global research and research on health disparities in neurological disorders and stroke. The primary objectives of the Office include:
Global Health: Support global research partnerships aimed at strengthening our understanding of the burden of neurological disease and identifying opportunities for improved diagnostics, treatment, and prevention strategies. Building sustainable capacity in low-and middle-income countries to enable the conduct of research and training in neurological disorders and stroke in low-resource settings is also of interest.
Health Disparities: Advance research on disparities (or inequities) in neurological disease, healthcare, and health outcomes in disparate populations, including racial and ethnic minorities, the geographically disadvantaged, sex and gender minorities, and others who have been historically underserved, socioeconomically disadvantaged, marginalized, or adversely affected by persistent inequality. The Office seeks to support rigorous research, from basic science to implementation, that will identify, monitor, and target biological, environmental, behavioral, social, and/or healthcare system factors that influence disparities in neurological disease.
Resources and Tools
- RFA-MD-21-004: Understanding and Addressing the Impact of Structural Racism and Discrimination on Minority Health and Health Disparities (R01 Clinical Trial Optional)
- Awarded Grants: Total of 38 R01s were funded (see list of awards on NIH RePORTER)
- Application Funded by NINDS: Examining racial segregation and underlying mechanisms related to VCID and incident stroke in the REGARDS study
News & Events
- New Funding Opportunity and Technical Webinar! The NIH & Global Alliance for Chronic Diseases (GACD) invite applications for Implementation Research on Noncommunicable Disease Risk Factors among Low- and Middle-Income Country and Tribal Populations Living in City Environments
See FOA: PAR-23-042 | Application Due Date: March 9, 2023
The NIH Common Fund’s Community Partnerships to Advance Science for Society (ComPASS): Coordination Center (Funding Opportunity) Applications are due by January 27, 2023 | For more details, see the full FOA: RFA-RM-23-001
- Save the Dates: NIMHD 2023 Health Disparities Research Institute (HDRI) August 7 - 11, 2023 | Applications Accepted between February 6 – March 13, 2023 | Visit the HDRI webpage to learn more about the program, eligibility requirements, selection criteria, and how to apply.
The ORWH Announces the Availability of Administrative Supplements to Support Research Testing Gender Terminology |Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Research on Gender Measurement (NOT-OD-23-029 | Applications Deadline: February 28, 2023 | Please click here for more information!
Subscribe to the NINDS-OGHHD Listserv !
Subscribe to the NINDS-OGHHD Listserv
Global Health Research at NINDS
Application information for international applicants and institutions
U.S. - Japan Brain Research Cooperative Program
Promotes scientist exchange, training, and research collaborations between neuroscientists from the U.S. and Japan
Health Disparities Strategic Planning
NANDSC Working Group for Health Disparities and Inequities in Neurological Disorders
Health Disparities Research at NINDS
Information on NINDS-supported health disparity related research
OGHHD 2020 Request for Information
This request for information sought input on knowledge gaps, health and research needs, as well as promising opportunities to help guide NINDS research on health disparities and inequities in neurological disorders and diseases