Notice Number: NOT-NS-21-047
Release Date: April 22, 2021
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)
This Notice of Special Interest (NOSI) rescinds and replaces NOT-NS-20-089 (Notice to Encourage Eligible NINDS Alzheimer's Disease and Alzheimer's Disease-Related Dementias (AD/ADRD) Initiative Awardees to Apply for PA-20-222 "Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research").
This Notice encourages eligible NINDS awardees in the Alzheimer’s Disease and Alzheimer’s Disease-Related Dementias (AD/ADRD) research community to apply for administrative supplements in response to PA-21-071, "Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research," or any reissues of this announcement through the expiration date of this Notice. The NIH has a strong interest in the diversity of the NIH-funded workforce (see NOT-OD-20-031, "Notice of NIH's Interest in Diversity") and encourages institutions to diversify their student populations by enhancing the participation of individuals from groups that are underrepresented in the biomedical, clinical, behavioral, and social sciences. Goal 1 of the National Plan to Address Alzheimer’s Disease is to prevent and effectively treat AD/ADRD by 2025. This initiative addresses the critical need to increase the number of health professionals and researchers who are trained to meet the expanding demand for cognitive impairment and dementia diagnosis, care, and research to meet Goal 1.
Program Directors/Principal Investigators (PD/PI) of active AD/ADRD research grants are encouraged to consider administrative supplements under this program at the following career levels: high school students, undergraduate students, baccalaureate and master’s degree holders, graduate (predoctoral) and health professional students, individuals in postdoctoral training, and investigators developing independent research careers. All applications must include a signed statement from an institutional official establishing eligibility of the candidate for the program, including information about citizenship of the candidate, and a description of how the candidate would further the goals of the program, consistent with NOT-OD-20-031, "Notice of NIH's Interest in Diversity". The activities proposed in the supplement application must fall within the scope and advance the objectives of the parent grant, and support the research experienceand professional development of the supplement candidate.
Diversity supplement awardees, as appropriate for the duration of their support and career stage, may request funds, in addition to the research costs specified in PA-21-071 (or any reissues of this announcement), to enable the supplement candidate to attend the AD/ADRD research and care summits. This request for additional funds should be reasonable and well justified in the application.
Before submitting an application, applicants are strongly encouraged to consult with the Program Official for the parent grant or the contact listed below to confirm eligibility and to obtain technical assistance.
Application and Submission Information
Applications for this initiative must be within scope of the parent award and must be submitted using the following opportunity or its subsequent reissued equivalent.
- PA-21-071 - Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research (Admin Supp - Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- Application Due Date(s): All applications are due by 5:00 PM local time of application organization to due dates on or after May 15, 2021 and subsequent receipt dates through May 15, 2024. Administrative supplement applications received by these due dates will be considered as a cohort according to the following schedule:
|Application Receipt Window||Funding Decision|
November 16th to February 15th
February 16th to May 15th
May 16th to November 15th
- For funding consideration, applicants must include “NOT-NS-21-047” (without quotation marks) in the Agency Routing Identifier field (box 4B) of the SF424 R&R form. Applications without this information in box 4B will not be considered for this initiative.
- Only existing awardees of NINDS funded AD/ADRD research awards are eligible to apply. Awards in a No-Cost Extension (NCE) are not eligible.
- Supplement requests under this Notice will undergo administrative evaluation by NINDS staff.
- Applicants are also strongly encouraged to notify the program contact below that a request has been submitted in response to this NOSI in order to facilitate efficient processing of the request.
- Applications nonresponsive to terms of this NOSI will not be considered for the NOSI initiative.