Research With Activities Related to Diversity (ReWARD) R01
The ReWARD program provides support for the health-related research of scientists who are making a significant contribution to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility (DEIA) and who have no current NIH research project grant funding at time of award.
Only applications that fall within the scientific mission of NINDS will be considered for funding. Clinical trials that seek to answer specific questions about safety, tolerability, clinical efficacy, effectiveness, clinical management, and/or implementation of pharmacologic, behavioral, biologic, surgical, or device (invasive or non-invasive) interventions, preventive, therapeutic, and service interventions will not be supported under this NOFO. NINDS generally expects a minimum effort of 2.4 calendar months (or 20% effort) towards research on an R01.
Due Dates for New Applications
June 5, 2023; October 5, 2023; February 5, 2024; June 5, 2024; October 5, 2024; February 5, 2025; June 5, 2025; October 5, 2025; February 5, 2026
Due Dates for Resubmission Applications
July 5, 2023; November 5, 2023; March 5, 2024; July 5, 2024; November 5, 2024; March 5, 2025; July 5, 2025; November 5, 2025; March 5, 2026
- Research Project Grants (RPGs) and Cooperative Agreements include the following activity codes: R00, R01, R03, R15, R16, R21, R33, R34, R35, R36, R37, R50, R56, R61, RC1, RC2, RC3, RC4, RF1, RL1, RL2, RL9, P01, P42, PM1, PN1, RM1, UA5, UC1, UC2, UC3, UC4, UC7, UF1, UG3, UH2, UH3, UH5, UM1, UM2, U01, U19, U34, U3R, DP1, DP2, DP3, DP4, DP5.
- If you have a current award on this list, you are not eligible for this program.
Required Components - See NOFO for more information
1. Diversity Statement (2-page maximum): The application must include a diversity statement from the PD(s)/PI(s) applying for the R01 award. The Diversity Statement should include a detailed description of the PD(s)/PI(s)'s commitment to diversity as well as any past or present activities to enhance DEIA in the biomedical research enterprise – such as activities to support individuals from diverse backgrounds, including those from groups underrepresented in the biomedical research workforce (e.g., certain racial/ethnic groups, persons with disabilities, students from disadvantaged backgrounds, women, as described in the NIH Notice of Interest in Diversity).
2. Plan for Enhancing Diverse Perspectives (PEDP) (1-page maximum): All applications must include a summary of strategies to advance the scientific and technical merit of the proposed project through expanded inclusivity. The PEDP should provide a holistic and integrated view of how enhancing diverse perspectives is viewed and supported throughout the application and can incorporate elements with relevance to any review criteria (significance, investigator(s), innovation, approach, and environment) as appropriate.
3. Letters of Support: The application must contain an institutional letter of support from the Department Chair, Dean, or equivalent leadership official.
4. Additional instructions: Note NOFO-specific instructions for specific aims, biosketch, and research strategy, as well as specific review criteria.