Find information on policies, resources, past and upcoming events, mentoring, and professional societies related to diversity. To learn about programs to enhance diversity in the neuroscience workforce, visit the NINDS Diversity Awards page.
- NIH's Interest in Diversity
A diversity statement that describes NIH's interest in the diversity of the NIH-funded workforce. Programs to enhance diversity focus on underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, individuals with disabilities, and individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds, and institutions primarily serving underrepresented groups.
- Racial and Ethnic Categories and Definitions for NIH Diversity Programs and for Other Reporting Purposes
Definitions of the racial and ethnic categories described in NIH's Interest in Diversity policy.
- Diversity Recruitment and Retention Requirement for Training Grants
Information on suggested approaches for the recruitment and retention of students and fellows for T32 grants.
- The Role of NINDS T32 Programs in Training a Diverse Workforce(pdf, 271 KB)
NINDS expectations for T32 programs with regard to diversity issues and information about opportunities available to T32 programs that can aid in diversity recruitment and retention.
- NINDS Guidance for R13 Conference Grant Submissions: Addressing “Appropriate Representation”
Information and resources for R13 applicants on effective ways to design an appropriate conference plan for inclusion.
- Report from the Workforce Diversity Strategic Planning Advisory Panel(pdf, 594 KB)
Report from the NINDS Advisory Panel for Workforce Diversity, charged to examine the current NINDS investment in nurturing diversity in the neuroscience workforce, and to make recommendations for current and future programs that will further the goal of NINDS to engage all segments of our society in the effort to reduce the burden of neurological disease.
Information on past events related to diversity at NINDS.
- Building Up the Nerve - A podcast from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke for neuroscience trainees. Season 1 that takes you through the life cycle of a grant from idea to award at NINDS; season 2 covers the different sections of fellowship and career development awards.
- Maintaining a Neural Network: Transforming Mentorship - April 25 - 26, 2022 (Virtual)
- Virtual Workshop for NIH Blueprint Diversity - April 16, 2020
- Strengthening a Neural Network: Pathways for Institutional Change Regarding Diversity and Inclusion - April 29 - 30, 2019
- Activating a Neural Network: Admission Strategies to Increase Diverse Neuroscience Trainees - April 10 - 11, 2017
- Forming a Neural Network: NINDS Diversity Research Education (R25) Meeting - April 11-12, 2016
- Grant Writing Workshop for Diversity Investigators - April 19 - 20, 2010
Venues for professional development activities, scientific presentations and networking opportunities with peers, faculty and academic biomedical research institutions.
- Association of American Indian Physicians (AAIP)
- Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS)
- Association of Minority Health Professions Schools, Inc. (AMHPS)
- Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU)
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES)
Resources and Tools
News & Events
Building Up the Nerve is a podcast for neuroscience trainees that takes you through the life cycle of a grant from idea to award.
Resources across NIH and the federal government around diversity
National Science Foundation Statistics
Current data on representation of different groups in the U.S. scientific workforce.
Information on the trans-NIH “Enhancing the Diversity of the NIH-Funded Workforce” program.
Access the 2012 “Diversity in the Biomedical Research Workforce Working Group Report.”
Information about how NIH promotes a diverse scientific research workforce.
The Chief Officer for Scientific Workforce Diversity (COSWD) leads NIH’s effort to diversify the national scientific workforce and expand recruitment and retention.
Minority Serving Institutions
- NASA Minority Serving Institution (MSI) Exchange: https://msiexchange.nasa.gov/resources
- U.S. Department of Education Eligibility Matrices: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/idues/eligibility.html