Please use the Annotated SF424 Form set for SBIR/STTR applications along with these tips to guide you during the electronic submission process. The annotated
form set provides step-by-step instructions of which fields to complete and aligns with the information below.
Top 5 eRA Commons Submission Errors:
Error #1: Each Senior/Key Person listed must include effort of value > 0 in calendar months, or academic and summer months
- It’s okay to put 0 dollars (no salary), but NOT 0 effort.
- Be sure to describe the source of key personnel funding in the Budget Justification if $0 salary is listed.
Error #2: All application attachments must be in PDF formate.
- Use simple PDF-formatted files (no Word files)
- Do not use Portfolio or similar feature to bundle multiple files into a single PDF
- Disable security features such as password protection
- Keep file names to 50 characters or less and use only letters, numbers, underscore, hyphen, space and period
- Use meaningful filenames and follow guidelines for fonts and margins
- Do not include headers or footers
Error #3: eRA Commons username must be supplied in the Credential field of Senior/Key Person Page
- For multiple PD/PI applications, select the PD/PI role for each PI and provide their eRA Commons username in the Credential
field of Senior/Key Person Page
- This field is required for NIH grant submissions.
Error #4: NIH requires the Organization name for all Senior/Key listed
- The application pre-populates for PI, but NOT other key personnel
Error #5: The Federal Identifier on the Cover Page should include only the IC and serial number of the prior grant number
- Federal Identifier: If box 1=Application and box 8=New, then leave blank
- If box 1=Changed/Corrected and box 8=New, then enter previous Grants.gov tracking number
- Otherwise, use Institute and serial # of previous NIH grant/app (e.g., use CA987654 from 1R01CA987654-01)
Other helpful tips to remember:
- Corrective submissions must be made BEFORE the submission deadline and overwrite previous submissions.
- Errors stop application processing and must be corrected
- Warnings do not stop application processing and are corrected at the discretion of the applicant
- Talk to an NIH Program Officer about your application and SUBMIT EARLY (days not hours and minutes).
- If you have questions, please contact the eRA Commons Help Desk:
- Toll-free: 1-866-504-9552
- Phone: 301-402-7469
- Hours : Mon-Fri, 7a.m. to 8 p.m. ET
Do not wait until the last minute to try and submit your application electronically. Registration itself can take between
6-8 weeks, and any application submission error can keep your application from processing. Plan ahead to ensure your application
moves forward successfully and reduce last minute submission stress.