2013 Instructions for Administrative Supplement Requests
Instructions for submission of requests for supplement awards to NINDS Research Education Programs for Residents and Fellows
in Neurology, Neurosurgery, Neuropathology and Neuroradiology (R25)
(RFA-NS-09-001, RFA-NS-10-002, RFA-NS-12-003)
Please contact Stephen Korn (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
General Submission Instructions
- Supplement requests can only be submitted by the PI of the R25. However, there are components that should be prepared by the
proposed participant (resident or fellow) and components that should be prepared by the proposed mentor (see below).
- SUPPLEMENT REQUESTS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED ON PAPER, NOT ELECTRONICALLY.
- Supplement applications must be prepared using the PHS 398 forms.
- Please submit supplement requests via e-mail as a single pdf attachment directly to the Office of Training, Career Development
and Workforce Diversity
Subject line: R25 for residents supplement request
- Applications must be submitted to the e-mail address above, no later than 5:00 p.m. (local time for the applicant institution),
October 31, 2013. Because these undergo an extensive review process and must go to January, 2014 council, LATE SUBMISSIONS
CANNOT BE ACCEPTED OR REVIEWED.
- Please submit just a single application (a single pdf document), which requests funding for all of the residents/fellows you would like to support. Within the single document, clearly organize
the information associated with each resident/fellow for whom support is requested so that the information for each individual
can be separated and reviewed independently (e.g. group the participant and mentor biosketches with the research plan and
mentor letter for each individual).
- Applicants may request support for as many residents/fellows as they wish. However, please only submit requests for your outstanding
residents with well-worked out research/training/education plans. Requests for continuation of support for residents/fellows
who have previously received R25 support must include all components of the request, including a complete set of items 5-11
- Budgeting: You may request, for each participant, the salary/fringe for 80% effort for the duration of support (between 6 - 12 months),
based on the relevant PGY salary, up to $2,000 for travel, and up to $1,000 for attendance at the NINDS R25 workshop. You
may also request up to $10,000 for administrative costs, which you will receive if you receive support for one or more participants
starting in July, 2014.
The request for supplemental support must include the following:
- A cover letter that identifies the application as a request for supplemental funding to an NINDS Research Education Program
for Residents and Fellows in Neurology and Neurosurgery (R25). Include your name, department, institution and RFA number (RFA-NS-09-001,
RFA-NS-10-002, RFA-NS-12-003). Please also include a list of participants for whom support is requested, their home department,
and for each participant, whether the supplement is for new or continuing support.
- A completed face page (with all appropriate institutional signatures) from Grant Application Form PHS 398. Include the title
and grant number of the parent grant.
- A detailed, proposed budget, entered on the initial budget page from Grant Application form PHS 398.
- A budget justification page, with the requested amounts for each participant clearly described.
- A 3 page (maximum) description of the research education and research plan (written by the proposed participant and signed by both the proposed participant and the proposed mentor).
- A letter of support, written by the proposed mentor, which describes the mentoring and overall research plan for this participant.
The mentor should discuss a plan by which the participant will become ready to submit an application for an NIH Career Development
(K) award or equivalent. (We anticipate this can be done in 0.75 – 2 pages).
- A biosketch for the participant.
- A biosketch for the proposed mentor.
- If the request is to continue support for a participant during a fellowship period who was previously supported during residency,
the supplement application should also include a brief description of progress made during the residency year. We understand
that, depending on when the participant started, there may have been little or no progress made at the time of supplement
submission. If this is the case, please state this and provide the dates during which support is being provided.
- If the request is to continue support for a participant during a fellowship period, the PI should confirm that the proposed
participant was supported for at least 6 months during residency by this research education program, and that during this
period of support, the resident devoted a minimum of 80% effort to research education.
- If the proposed participant will be doing research involving animal or human subjects, documentation must be provided that
the proposed research experience has been approved by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) or human subjects
Institutional Review Board (IRB) at the grantee institution. Adherence to the NIH policy for including women and minorities
in clinical studies must also be insured if additional human subjects’ involvement is planned for the supplement component.
It would be best to provide this information with the supplement application. However, this information will be required before
an award can be made.
These supplement requests will be reviewed in the Fall of 2013, go to Council in January, 2014, with funding start dates in
the Spring of 2014.
Last updated September 9, 2013