Brain Influsion of Muscimol to Treat Epilepsy
To be eligible for entry into the study, candidates must meet all the following criteria:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Have simple or complex partial seizures.
- Seizures must persist at 2 or more per month, despite medical therapy.
- Be able to give informed consent.
- Have been determined by the NIH neurology staff to have medically intractable epilepsy.
- Have a seizure focus in a single region of one cerebral hemisphere.
Candidates will be excluded if they:
- Are pregnant.
- Have a contraindication to MRI scanning.
- Have a bleeding disorder that cannot be corrected before testing or treatment.
- Are unable to comprehend the risks of the testing and surgical therapy.
- Have seizure foci in more than one region of one hemisphere or in both cerebral hemispheres.
- Have a positive HIV test, because such patients would have increased risk of infection due to their immune deficiency.
Last updated February 21, 2013