The mission of NINDS is to reduce the burden of neurological disease - a burden borne by every age group, by every segment
of society, by people all over the world.
To support this mission, NINDS:
- Conducts, fosters, coordinates, and guides research on the causes, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of neurological disorders
and stroke, and supports basic research in related scientific areas.
- Provides grants-in-aid to public and private institutions and individuals in fields related to its areas of interest, including
research project, program project, and research center grants.
- Operates a program of contracts for the funding of research and research support efforts in selected areas of institute need.
- Provides individual and institutional fellowships to increase scientific expertise in neurological fields.
- Conducts a diversified program of intramural and collaborative research in its own laboratories, branches, and clinics.
- Collects and disseminates research information related to neurological disorders.
For more information about the mission and activities of NINDS, see the NINDS Overview.
Last updated July 21, 2010